Friday, May 6, 2011

Blog #9 « hulafans

The weather is warming up encouraging the boardshorts, tank tops, and flip flops to come out of the closet. To finish off the look,  image yourself soaking up the sunshine with a nice cool, refreshing drink.

A beer?

Perhaps something with a zing like a mojito?

Why not have both?

I was planning a for a birthday dinner and needed a fun drink. I  found this recipe in a Raley's magazine and the picture of the drink looked delicious, the perfect accompaniment to my dinner menu.

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I like carbonated drinks so I purchased the ingredients to get a taste test. Yes, Silver El Patron is expensive, but it's smooth and delicious. I like it straight.  (Ha! That's what she said.)

It was delicious.

The Tecate mojito is refreshing and easy to make.

Things you need:
a 16-ounce glass, chilled
one can of Tecate
Silver El Patron
sugar for simple syrup*
fresh lime, washed
fresh mint, washed
ice

Let's begin.

Place 16-ounce glass in the freezer. Cold drinks are best served in chilled glasses.

Don't waste your money on pre-made simple syrup, it's very easy to make. Measure equal portions of sugar and water, for this recipe, let's measure out 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water, place it in a small pan. Under medium-low heat, bring the mixture to a light rolling boil. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Into the chilled glass, place a few leaves of mint. Use a blunt utensil like a wooden spoon to muddle the leaves releasing the flavor and oils.

Mmm. The aroma is intoxicating.

Measure in 1 ounce of cooled simple syrup, 1 ounce of Silver El Patron, and 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice. Mix. Add ¼ cup of  ice. Add one can of Tecate. Mix.

Garnish with a mint sprig and a lime slice.  Serve.

Serving yield – 1

FYI – On a second run through, I tried substituting some of the ingredients and I discovered that the drink did not taste the same.

I hope you enjoy this drink as much as I do.

Salud.

No comments:

Post a Comment