Monday, May 9, 2011

Counting My Blessings | Team Lundgren Times

This Mother's Day I tried counting my blessings.  I feel as God told Abraham across the centuries…that my blessings outnumber the stars.  So for now I'm sticking with the "mother" theme.

I am so thankful for my own mom, who has shown me love and encouragement throughout my life.  She is an example to me in many ways.  Here she is in her apron–her lifelong fashion statement.

When you wear an apron you aren't so much thinking of what people might think of YOU, but of what you can do for THEM.  She also used to always wear a pink clay heart strung on a black satin chord with a few plastic beads around her neck that my sister made for her when she was about three.  The heart pendant was the size of a Valentine's Day sugar cookie.  I used to complain as a teenager: Mom…seriously, why do you wear that thing…it's so tacky!  She found my disdain for it humorous.  Unruffled, she would reply:  "Mary made this for me.  I think it's so pretty."  She'd still be wearing it if it hadn't eventually crumbled to pieces.  It's probably time I help my kids make some new tacky clay jewelry for Cita.  When I think of my mom, she has on her big clay heart necklace and she's in her apron.

Continuing to count my blessings…I will never forget my grandma, Jeanie, my "other mother", who loved me endlessly and who loved life and who taught me to do many of the things she loved.

Jeanie at work in her florist shop/kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment