Tuesday, May 17, 2011

“Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” «

This morning I could smell the ocean. I didn't want to come inside, but I reluctantly pulled myself away. It rained last night as it will every day this week. Today is still cloudy but a bit lighter than it's been, and the street is beginning to dry. Gracie found the baby possum last night. I heard her making a weird sounding bark and went outside. I rescued the possum, but I don't know how much life it had left. It moved when I grabbed it by its tail and put out it outside the yard. Gracie had only played with it, but her paws were no match for the baby possum.

I made an appointment to get my yellow fever shot for Ghana. Though the trip is still months away, every completed detail makes me more and more excited. Forty or so former volunteers will be in-country for the 50th celebration. I noticed one who served before I did. In different postings we have been referred to as the ancients and the old girls and old boys of Ghana. A current volunteer from the Upper West has offered me her expertise. She is posted in Wa where I'd visited a few times. Bolga is now in the Upper East. Long ago the whole area was just the Upper Region.

My group was the first in Peace Corps history to train completely in-country, and I sent the story to Ghana as the 50th committee was looking for historical perspectives. The story was accepted and is now posted on the Peace Corps Ghana site. I got a chuckle that it is described as part of Stories Through the Ages. Just click on an RPCV Story  1969-1971. Here is the link: http://ghana.peacecorps.gov/ThroughAges.php

Today I will be out and about doing a few errands. I think cloudy or rainy days lend themselves to errands. I have a list. Gracie, of course, will be my navigator. When I get home, I'll just laze and read. I can't think of a better way to spend a damp and rainy afternoon. StumbleUpon Print Digg Reddit

No comments:

Post a Comment