Thursday, May 12, 2011

PR nightmare for Sony « PR… the good, the bad and the ugly

You couldn't write a blog about good and bad PR without mentioning Sony's latest crisis. It just wouldn't be right.

Before I do just that though, I'm going to let you in on a little secret… I'm no Playstation fan. I'm not a games console fan at all, in fact. The nearest I've got is a few games on the Wii that are designed for six year olds!

But even with that being the case, I do know all about the hacking of the Playstation Network.

Millions and millions of users had personal and financial information put at risk when they system was hacked into last month.

Now that is a disaster in itself. But what was even more disastrous was the fact that it took Sony six days to reveal this vital information. Six days?! I'm no PR expert (not yet, anyway!), but that six days has surely done an aful lot of damage to Sony's reputation. As we're all aware, reputation is a major part of PR. Some go as far as to define PR as 'reputation management'. And as we all know, one of the contributors to a good reputation is trust. Surely leaving it six days before telling people 'Oh hang on, I think all your credit card details may have been stolen. Sorry' is going to take away most, if not all, of that trust that people had.

Playstation's very own 'Uh-oh' moment

No comments:

Post a Comment