Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Priest « Idle Mind's Journal

So yesterday my dad gets free tickets to watch the movie premiere of Priest and I figured heck why not? And so I decided to go for it. A quick google search told me that it was about vampires kidnapping this Priest's niece and I thought well it's for free and although the story sounded a bit well clichéd I figured why not, maybe I was just being a bit too sceptic… 1 and a half hours later I realize I actually had quite a good reason to be wary. The Basic Plot  "PRIEST, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world — one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend, a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess who possesses otherworldly fighting skills. Written by Screen Gems  " - IMDb There were a lot of bad aspects of the movie with not enough good ones to balance it out. So I figured I'll organize all the flaws I found in the movie into a list ( FYI this whole post is a spoiler so if you want to stop reading because it'll ruin the story for you, now would be a good time…) 1. Storyline – Waaaay too cheesy. Damsel kidnapped (by vampires in this case), boyfriend tries to go save her but in realizes he's not strong enough so he asks damsel's uncle to help him out a bit. Later on he realizes that Uncle dear would kill the damsel if they found her as a vampire and then comes the show-down. Oh and in the middle we find out the Uncle ( I am sorry to say that even now I don't know his real name other than Uncle and Priest) is actually not the damsel's uncle but rather he's her father. I found that twist highly unnecessary and irrelevant… 2. Weak Characters - The bad guy just wasn't so bad and I still don't get what possessed him to come up with the evil plan and all that. It was as though by the middle of the script the writer just couldn't come up with a bad enough evil guy. Also the evil guy turns out to be a mix of both vampire and priest thing I mean how many times have hybrid evil guys been done seriously??! I also found the Monsignor seem a lot like Umbridge in Harry Potter with the whole there-are-no-monsters-out-there-stop-scaring-people thing going on… 3. Dialogues – they were just silly and was obviously a mixed bag of past movie dialogues. Enough said. 4. Horror – The most horrifying part of the movie was the chicken being stabbed. 5. Acting - at one point when one of the guys died it was just too funny. No I am not sadistic but when someones just goes GACK and then dies it just gives me the giggles all that was missing was a tongue sticking out. 6. Setting- By the end of it I was still confused about what kind of setting it was. At one point it seems so high-tech and stuff with a lot of the darker shades and electric blue being seen. And then suddenly Lucy is seen in one of those princess-stuck-in-a-tower dresses and I just get confused. Okay I realize I am being really harsh on the movie. I mean there were parts of it I liked: 1. Action - although I was expecting a bit more of horror I did like the action sequences. I love watching fast-paced martial arts moves as well as aerobics and stuff so I really enjoyed whatever action part there was and I kind of hoped for more. 2. Effects- I really like the over-all effects and I like the fact that they made the vampires look absolutely disgusting. An interesting twist compared to the whole "beautiful vampires" theme that most authors like to write now – almost seemed deliberate… That's about all I could find that I really liked…. So in my opinion wait for it to release in DVD and rent it instead of buying it because it's totally not worth much to watch in the theatres. Well that's what I feel anyway. Related articles Priest – Movie Trailer (theoriginalwinger.com) New Stills from Sony's Priest (dreadcentral.com) Priest (SPOILER ALERT) (lifeasacynic.blogspot.com)  

No comments:

Post a Comment