Saturday, May 14, 2011

Rain, It’s About Freakin Time « Die Fische

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Specifically, it seemed like a good idea to hike into Barton Creek from the Lost Creek access this last Thursday at 8AM for a little 2WT fly rod fishing. It had been a few weeks since i'd exclusively fished a fly rod, and a conversation with long time contributer James at Mysterious Water had me itching to get back in the rythym of fly fishing.

At 8AM it appeared to be no big deal, even though there was light rain in the air i figured it would do the "two minute drizzle" that i had gotten used to over the last few weeks. By 9AM i was starting to think that being a couple miles out in the midst of the Greenbelt, standing knee deep in water probably wasn't the best idea i'd had in a while. And by 10 i was practically peeing my pants, the lightning around my head giving me flashbacks of the lightning strike i had experienced last year at work that resulted with me dealing with EMT'S and a few weeks of being more or less incapacitated.

By 11AM with those memories bouncing through my head i had made it back to my car, trying my best to breath, having just ran a couple of miles back in muddy and slippery conditions with lightning crackling around my head and thunder threatning to shake my eardrums to pieces. It was scary as shit.

In retrospect, i'm amazed at how long i stood there, waist deep in steadily rising water with all that craziness going on around me, before i decided to pack it up and leave. I guess it just felt that good tossing the 2WT around and landing all those Bluegills. Fly fishing can do that to you, it can somehow make you take your deepest, darkest fears, and convince you to set them aside, if even only temporarily, so that you can focus on that hopeful moment, that second when it all can all come together, and you find life radiating on both ends of your line.

P.S. Sorry, no photos of the fish i caught. I was so nervous from the storm that i didn't even think of photographing the sunfish you've seen here 100 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment