Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Feast of Pope St. Gregory the Great

It's the feast day of Pope St. Gregory the Great.

This saint is my Buddybug's confirmation patron, so we are keen on him around here; and ask him daily for prayers on behalf on my son. I don't remember all of Buddybug's reasons for choosing St. Gregory the Great as his patron. But I suspect that his love of music was one of the links. St. Gregory promoted sacred music, now known to us as, duh: "Gregorian Chant." And Buddybug (and his mom and dad) love Gregorian Chant. So, no surprise there.
Drawing by Matthew Alderman,
(fellow domer alum of my son), 2006

St. Gregory is one of the few who have "the Great" attached to their name, and is also a doctor of the Church (meaning a great teacher). He sent missionaries into England and Ireland, and then Germany - spreading the hope and faith throughout Europe. He was highly educated and founded seven monasteries. Eventually he even was elected Pope. As Pope, he tirelessly worked in service for the Church and indeed, promoted his favorite (and ours) title for the Pope: "Servant of the servants of God."
I always just mostly think of my son when I think of St. Gregory the Great. And another little but extra pleasing link for me: St. Gregory's mother was St. Silvia. My mother's first name is Sylvia (hence, Buddybug's grandma is Silvia). I know, teensy nothings, but yet, they make me smile. And since this saint and my boy are connected in my daily prayers, they are kind of supernaturally and eternally connected I think (and certainly are in my head).

So, I thank St. Gregory for his prayers for my boy.

And I wish him and my Buddybug:Happy Feast Day!

Pope St. Gregory the Great, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment