Saturday, August 8, 2009

Feast of St. Dominic

Painting by El Greco, St. Dominic in Prayer, 1596-1590

It's the feast of St. Dominic today!
That is my favorite painting of him, above. We have a particular fondness for the Dominicans...mostly due to these wonderful sisters. They are the best things going around here and are some of the most joyful and compelling people I've met. Happily for us, they also teach our children (some of them) and we are lucky enough to be able to visit their motherhouse for Mass or vespers whenever we are in need of the sound of angels.
For another great link to online Dominican goodness, go here.

Now, for me, this is what St. Dominic stands for: the vocation to teach, sanctity, and the zeal for truth. And oh my, joy. Just clear joy (not simpleminded, but real, joy). And that is what I've seen embodied in so many Dominicans that I have met and know.

The irresistible combination of sanctity and complete dedication to Christ (Uhm, I know, DUH, they are vowed religious, but still...) somehow makes these Dominicans so compelling. You just want to be around them because they radiate. They really do.

Maybe it's that zeal for truth, a la their founder: St. Dominic. Because that zeal for truth is the zeal for Christ, who is Love and really uniting to that, that truth, that love....it brings joy. And that is why they draw me, and others. They really do just glow, radiate joy and happiness.

And I think we are all searching for that. I am. Always. And it's so hard to really hold onto....but St. Dominic is an example of how to find it. For real.

St. Dominic, pray for us, that we may radiate the joy of truth and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment