Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dia de Fiesta: Santo Inigo!

Today is the feast of St. Ignatius of Loyola!


He is a Spanish saint and one that intrigues me, but kinds unnerves me.
Because not only is the the founder of the Jesuits, but his "Spiritual Exercises" are something that I know I should undertake, but of course, haven't and may not ever due to my utter wimpiness.
They are rigorous to say the least, a four week program of spiritual surgery, so to speak.   I know many who have done them and say they are as difficult as reported but oh so worthwhile.  Hence, my intrigue with them but my cold feet.  Truthfully, as well, trying to gather that focused time means I have to realign the cosmos too....

But anyhow, back to our saint, he's a biggie and he  has brought many others into the church and a life of service, not the last of which would be St. Francis Xavier and Father Pio ( a local friend), some of my favs.  

St. Ignatius was a mystic and a man of deep prayer, and his influence is still felt to this day.  He is one of the saints who did what we are all called to do: he changed the world.  He calls us all to give everything back to God himself: AMDG - "to the greater glory of God."

Ignatius recommended this prayer:
“Receive, Lord, all my liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. You have given me all that I have, all that I am, and I surrender all to your divine will, that you dispose of me. Give me only your love and your grace. With this I am rich enough, and I have no more to ask.”


Yeah, you see why he is compelling yet daunting. 
Right; I've got a loooong loong way to go.  
St. Ignatius of Loyola, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment