Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Feast of St. Andrew!



El Greco. 1606.

It's the feast of St. Andrew!

You know, ya don't hear quite as much about St. Andrew as the other apostles.  But really, that is hardly fair.  I mean, he was the first.  The FIRST apostle! When Christ was walking by the sea of Galilee, he saw two fishermen, Simon and Andrew.  They were of course, fishing, being fishermen.  Christ called to them, "Come with me and I will make  you fishers of men." And Andrew, then and there, dropped everything and did. He followed Christ.  No  hemming and hawing and "what do you mean?" or "just let me go take care of this"...he just knew.  {Matthew 4:18-22} And so he did.  THEN he brought his brother back again, Simon, who Christ renamed Peter (but that's a whole 'nother post, eh?).  But yeah, THAT Peter, the St. Peter, rock of the church, pearly gates, the whole shebang.  Poor Andrew gets kinda short shrift eh?  I think so.  But he shouldn't.  Would that I had that kind of instant unquestioning sure faith.  

So, today I wish the Andrew's I know, a happy feast day.   You have an awesome patron.  And I pray to St. Andrew that he prays for my faith to increase, and my actions accordingly, just like him.  

St. Andrew, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment